Home About Me My Resources BlogLovin Instagram Facebook Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers Image Map

Kindergarten Skills Assessments

Last year I started out in a Title I classroom where I spent all of my morning working with the kindergarteners in reading. One of the things that I knew I had to do was to see where each of the student’s were at in regards to knowing their basic skills. I created an assessment in order to test all of the students in the 3 kindergarten classrooms to help determine who may or may not qualify for Title I services and to also give the classroom teachers a basis for instruction and grouping for their little ones. The assessments were then used throughout the year to see how the students were progressing. 

I worked at the beginning of the summer to get this ready to share with all of you and it has been out for about a month, but I am just now getting around to sharing it with you so here it is. (I am enjoying the freedom that summer brings just a bit too much…although I am itching to get back to the classroom.) 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Kindergarten-Skills-Inventory-723322

Each of the assessment packs include a 2 page student assessment form that can be copied front to back, a classroom assessment log to record the scores for all the students in regards to their understanding of various beginning skills, as well as various cards that can be used to administer the assessment.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Kindergarten-Skills-Inventory-723322

Each student will have their own two sided (or single sided 2 page doc. if you choose) document for you as the teacher to record their results. You can choose how you wish to record the students results. I often only mark the ones that they get wrong by circling them. This way I can count up the ones not circled to come up with a total score for that column. You can choose to only mark the ones they got correct. However you wish to do it is perfectly fine. 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Kindergarten-Skills-Inventory-723322

For each section of the assessment there is a card or coordinating activity that is included for you to give to the student. In order to keep all of the assessment tools in one place I printed them out and then used a binder ring to attach them together. For me, I printed out the cards and actually used crayons to color around the edges of the cards to help spruce them up some. Please note that some of the cards will need to be printed in color because the students need to figure out the pattern on the card.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Kindergarten-Skills-Inventory-723322

When I finished the assessments, I then went through each students inventory and tallied up the total number correct out of the total number given and recorded it on the class inventory sheet. This will allow for quick reference when you need to know how well a student did and what they need the most practice with.
This pack was a lifesaver last year and I can’t wait to use it this year with the added assessment tools.
You can grab this pack in my store by clicking on the picture below. 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Kindergarten-Skills-Inventory-723322



4 comments:

  1. Does your school do Literacy First? Some of the assessment reminds me of it; however, this one is cuter. My school pushes Literacy First so I have a lot of experience with it. We give it 4 times a year at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No we do not use it. I have heard of it before, but have never actually looked into it. The assessment is just a quick inventory of all the beginning skills we use in Kindergarten and a follow up to our Pre-kindergarten screenings held in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so great! I can't wait to use it with my girls :)

    ReplyDelete